— Groucho Marx
Headset in, fits like a glove.
In goes the handle bar stem, and on go the North Road bars, upside down of course. I think they look much better like this. Not sure yet if it’ll make the riding position too agressive, I’ll have to wait until its rideable to know for definite.
On go the forks, but…..
Looks like I’m going to have to make a custom spring hanger bracket, as there’s no way the standard one will fit, its in line with the head tube.
Fire up SolidWorks, and get that kettle on, click.
Right, lets mark out this bracket and start cutting metal.
Rough it out on the milling machine, and I’ll shape the rest on the linisher.
It’s 8mm thick, so I’ll throw a bit of heat at it, and bend on the fly press.
Holes in, before I assemble with the headset I’ve got to find 8mm from somewhere, as I’m already using the full length of the steerer tube, and there’ll be no room for this too.
I’ll turn 8mm off the bottom step of the steerer tube, and that should do the trick.
Sand blasted the bracket, re-assemble the springer forks and head set, and we’re done.
So, in keeping with the period look, I’ve opted instead for a set of ‘springer forks’. Hopefully that’ll soften the ride in style.
There seems to be a lot of variation here, the steerer tube length, OD, ID, and thread length being rather important. Quite a few phone calls, emails, and a bit of umming and arring and hopefully I’m good to go.
Length: 8”, OD:1”, ID:7/8”, Thread length 3”.Wheel in, and fotunately all seems to line up nicely with the front Sturmey Archer hub. Brake arm fits nicely, might need a bit of gentle persuasion when the tyre goes on. Hmm, the steerer tube has got a step at the base, and the lower bearing track on the headset doesn’t fit. Back to the machine shop.
Whilst I’m waiting for more parts to turn up for my vintage motorcycle project, thought I’d make a start on the next project.
Inspired by Grand Designs last night, and Huf Haus, I decided to have a go at designing a home office and shed for the end of my garden.Picked up some research on the way back from work. First design draft complete. Looking for something a bit different, with a nice open office and a concealed shed.
Might start a bit of materials research and nail down the design detail further.
Well, I might as well start assembling the handle bars and stem so I can get the gear shift working.
Hang on, the new handle bar stem doesnt fit inside the front fork? Aww, I’m sure I ordered a 22.2mm and not a 25.4mm, where’s my vernier?….
Stem’s right, seems I have a fork with a 21mm I.D.?
Kettle on, Click.
The ideas factory did its thing this morning, and a solution to the drive chain was born.
Quick mock up in 3D, just to check.
It fits, horay.
My new Sturmey Archer AWC rear hub is a lot larger than the hub on the old wheel I used to align the engine. A bit of modification is therefore required. I might just get away with the PCD of the mounting holes if I’m lucky.
Hmmm, head scratching and a bit of chin rubbing ensues…. It’s a bit too close for my liking. Looks like I’m going to have to fire up SolidWorks and have a little bit of a rethink.
Kettle on, ‘click’.
Finally the first lot of parts start arriving.Cream tyres, lots of toing and froing, but settled for the 26” Schwalbe fat franks.
North road handle bars.
Brooks sadle, in honey of course.
Vintage style pedals.
Created the tank template.
“Measure twice, cut once.” Then promptly onto the TIG welding.
Tank welded and starting to look the part. Clearly not as interesting as Peppa Pig though.
Filing down the welds.
Mmmm, blended welds, looking pretty.